Today I decided to make a cherry bakewell recipe; no real idea why, just woke up this morning and fancied trying one 🙂 my girl is at home with chicken pox too so baking is a good way to keep us entertained when baby is asleep! I looked at google, and there are so many variations on this recipe – in the end I decided on a cherry bakewell cake, as it has really good reviews. The original link for the recipe is here:
cherry bakewell cake
I’m really pleased with my cake – and as a bonus it was nice and simple to make. I change the icing from the original – I used almond extract in the icing instead if lemon, and I added glacé cherries to the topping as well just because I like them!
200grams butter (I used stork)
200grams caster sugar
100grams ground almonds
100grams self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Half a teaspoon almond extract
4 large eggs
Cherry jam (strawberry or raspberry would also work)
1 tablespoon Icing sugar
Water – I added a tiny bit at a time until thick enough
Almond extract – quarter of a teaspoon.
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
2. Grease two sandwich tins (20cm) and line with greaseproof paper
3. Beat all cake ingredients in a large bowl with an electric whisk.
4. Spoon evenly into two tins and flatten down.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes in the middle of the oven (mine took 25 minutes)
6. Take out, turn out onto wire rack and leave to cook fully.
7. Mix icing sugar, almost extract and water to make a thick icing,
Spoon onto cake.
8. Add almonds/ cherries to taste.
I am definatly going to use these flavours again, it is yummy and so easy – I reckon I could simplify the ingredients even further if I wanted to, and try different combinations. Lovely cake though.